Skip to main content

Driver's License & IDs

Drivers License and Non-Driver Identification

drivers license

ATTENTION MOTORISTS: In our effort to better serve all our customers, appointments are strongly encouraged, although no longer required. 

Please Note: Booking an appointment does not always eliminate a wait time, but it is greatly reduced. Click here to schedule your appointment    

Are you applying for a license (permit) for the first time?

Be sure you read through the steps to apply for a driving permit (the first step to getting a license) before you come to the DMV. In order to obtain a drivers license you will need to be age 16 or older. 

You will need to pass the written permit test at a DMV office on the rules of the road.

You can use the DMV Driver’s Manual and practice tests as a study guide to prepare for the written test.

To get a learners permit, driver license, or non-driver ID for the first time or to renew a license or identification that has been expired for more than two years, you must:

  1. Prove your date of birth with a certified copy or original birth certificate. See form ID-44 Proof of Identity for other acceptable proof.
  2. Have your social security card with you.
  3. Prove your name and address by submitting one or more of the required proof documents. See form ID-44 Proof of Identity for ALL acceptable proof documents that total 6 points.

Bring the required proof documents along with a completed Form MV-44 to the nearest Erie County Auto Bureau.  

Renew License or non-Driver Identification

You must renew your license before it expires or you could face fines. 

If you drive with expired license get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties

  • 60 days or less after the expiration date: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
  • more than 60 days after the expiration date: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges

You can renew up to 1 year before it expires and 2 years after (there are no exceptions).

Renewal anytime within this period will NOT affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees. 

If your license is expired for 2 years or more, you must apply for an original license. You must present all proofs of identification and residency, pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. The same applies for a non-Driver Identification Card- you will need to present all proofs of identification and residency. See form ID-44 Proof of Identity for other acceptable proof and point value.

Once renewed, your license or non-Driver ID expiration date will be extended for 8 years. 

Exchange Your Out-Of-State License

Have you recently moved to New York State? You must obtain a NYS driver license within 30 days of becoming a resident.

You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license if you are studying or visiting NYS and reside in another state.

  • You must go to a DMV office to exchange your driver license or apply of a new one. 
  • You will need to: Pass a vision test or bring a completed Eye Test Report (pdf) (MV-619), surrender your out-of-state license, and bring proof of identity 


enhanced license

Get an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) and Enhanced Non-Driver Identification

If you are looking for information on a REAL ID License or non-Driver ID click here.

What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?

A NYS EDL is compliant with the REAL ID Act and Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and may be used to board domestic flights coinciding with the new REAL ID enforcement date of May 7, 2025.

If you are a US citizen and NYS resident, you can apply for a NYS Enhanced Driver License (EDL) that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. An EDL is not acceptable for "InternationaL" air travel between these countries.

We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

How do I apply for an EDL?

You must apply for an EDL in person at any Erie County Auto Bureau and provide Proof of Your Identity, U.S. Citizenship, NYS Residency and Age (Date of Birth), Social Security Card (or Federal or NYS Tax form with compete social Security Number).

You will also need

If you are looking for information on how to apply for a REAL ID click here

NOTE: If name on certified copy of birth certificate is different from current proof of identity, you MUST bring in a state certified copy of marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s) or court order document(s).

BE READY, BE PREPARED! Review the handy document guide of all the necessary identification and documents required for when you arrive: ENHANCED AND REAL ID DRIVER'S LICENSE AND IDENTIFCATION CARD DOCUMENT GUIDE.

Can I apply online, by phone or mail?

No, because you are required to show proofs of identity, NYS residency and U.S. Citizenship. All applications for enhanced documents must be made in person at any Erie County Auto Bureau.

Please visit any of our main or satellite office locations if you with to apply for a REAL ID or Enhanced Driver License/non-Driver Identification card. At present we are unable to process this type of transaction at any of our Mobile locations.

Is there an additional fee for an enhanced driver license?

The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) or enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID) is $30.00. The fee is added to the other fees for the driver license or non-driver ID transaction.

To determine the fee for converting from a regular driver license or ID card to an enhanced document, see Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document.

For your convenience make a reservation online.