Skip to main content

Conservation Licenses

Conservation licenses go on sale on or around August 1st of each year. Doe Management Permits MUST be purchased on or before October 1st for the 1st round.  The 2nd round of Doe Management Permits go on sale November 1st. You should bring either your drivers license or a previous year hunting/fishing license with you to provide to the Clerk's issuing your new license.

To limit the community spread of COVID-19, the DEC is encouraging hunters, trappers and anglers to purchase sporting licenses online. Sporting licenses may be purchased online at any time and anglers may use their priveleges immediately by simple carrying their transaction number (DEC-LS#) with them while afield.

Anglers, hunters and trappers may also use the HuntFishNY mobile app to display an electronic copy of their license. The HuntFishNY app is availble for download through the Apple App or Google Play stores. Back tags and carcass tags must still be mailed and customers should allow 10-14 days for receipt of their tags. The DEC will provide updates periodically via email, social media and at

Anyone seeking a new license for hunting must provide a hunter's training course certification and a form of photo ID. Mandatory hunter education requires a minimum 10-hour course and Bowhunter education requires a minimum 8-hour course. To qualify for a resident license, the applicant must live in New York State a minimum of 30 days prior to the date of application. If renewing, an old license along with a driver's license will serve as proof of residency. The minimum age to receive a hunting license is 12 years of age. Junior hunters under the age of 16 need parental or guardian consent to receive a license. Licenses and permits are valid from September 1 through August 31, except fishing licenses which are now good for 365 days from the date of original purchase.

Effective February 2014 a new pricing scale went into effect. There are no longer bundles available for purchase such as the"sportsman" or "super sportsman".  All tag choices are now purchased ala carte. Any questions regarding license sales can be directed to the Town Clerk's office at (716) 542-4573 or researched on the NYSDEC website at .