Skip to main content

Change or Discontinue a Business

Amendment of an Assumed Name Certificate

A Certificate can be amended by filing an original signed and notarized Amendment of an Assumed Name Certificate with the County Clerk's Office.

Generally, Amendments may be filed to change the business name, the business address, or to add or remove partners. The nature of the change should be clearly defined or identified on the form.  Amendments require a reference to the original or most recent business filing and the Corporation-Assumed Name.

Counter in the Basement Record Room of the Clerk’s Office can assist with identifying this reference. The filing fee for an Amendment is $35.00, including two certified copies.

Discontinuance of Assumed Name

The use of an assumed name can be discontinued when the individual or partners cease to conduct business or wish to discontinue use of the assumed name. Like Amendments, the Discontinuance of Business (Sole Proprietor or Partnership) requires reference to the original filing and amendments. There is no charge for filing a Discontinuance of Assumed Name.