Obtaining an Application
- You must be at least 21 years of age and a resident of Erie County.
- You must fill out the County PPA-4R (Rev 9/22) application
- You must fill out the State PPB-3 (Rev 8/22) application. ( No Photo Copies)
- State PPB-3 Application MUST be notarized by a Notary Public or Commissioner of Deeds under "Jurat" on the back.
- One (1) black and white or color photograph (2”x2”)
- You must have 4 character references sign your application
- Valid email address so you can receive updates throughout the process
- You must take a Handgun Safety Course from a Duly Authorized Instructor.
- Review the FBI Privacy Statement Act
- Provide a copy of your NYS driver's license or Non-Drivers ID.
- Provide a copy of your Social Security Card or W-2 that lists your Social Security Number.
- Provide a copy of your fingerprint receipt
- Provide a check or money order for $20 made out to "Erie County Clerk" for the application processing fee.
- Provide a certificate of disposition for ALL arrests including SEALED cases and DWI (except traffic infractions)
- Provide documents required for a Business Protection Permit.
- Provide proof of citizenship and/or immigration document(s) IF BORN OUTSIDE OF U.S.
- You must be fingerprinted prior to submitting your pistol permit application.
- Fingerprinting should be done no more than 30 days before submission
- Book a fingerprint appointment at https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/151Z1G
- or Call 1-877-472-6915 (Service Code 151Z1G)
Applications MUST now be submitted in person with the Erie County Pistol Permit Office
Rules for Character Reference
- No References can be a relative of the applicant or a boyfriend/girlfriend
- Amherst residents must have at least 2 references that live in Amherst, the other 2 may live anywhere in Erie County
- EAST AURORA residents must have at least 2 references that live in East Aurora, the other 2 may live anywhere in Erie County
- Residents who live in any other towns, villages, or cities, may use anyone in Erie County as a reference
The Erie County Pistol Permit Department CANNOT make exceptions to the above requirements; those must be made by an authorized person at the specific police department.
The Application Process after Submission
The Application Process will follow these basic 6 steps which will represent the email alerts you will get if you provided a valid email address on your application.
- The application is recorded and pending the Police agency investigation. (Prepared for Police)
- The application is with the Police agency for investigation. (Under Investigation)
- The application is with the Erie County Clerk's Office. (Investigation Completed)
- The application is with the Licensing Officer for review. (Under Review)
- The application is with the Erie County Clerk's Office for processing. (Review Completed)
- The approval/denial letter gets created and sent. (Application Completed)