Listed below are the exemptions the Town of Newstead offers its residents. Because exemptions directly affect your tax bill, careful attention should be paid to the eligibility requirements.
ATTN PROPERTY OWNERS
As a result of recent law changes, the STAR program has been restructured. If you have applied for the STAR property tax exemption beginning after March 1st, 2016 deadline, you will now have to apply through new York State instead of receiving a school property tax exemption. For more information, click here.
- STAR CREDIT (School tax only)
- Senior Enhanced STAR (First time applicants that currently have BASIC STAR on their school tax bill) Submit to the Assessor's office by March 1st if you are over 65 OR turning 65 by December 31, 2022. Application must include this NYS Mandatory Income Verification. (1x application required)
- NEW AGED SENIOR - Low Income Exemption (County/Town, Village and School tax depending on income)
- Renew AGED SENIOR - Low Income Exemption
- VETERANS (& DISABLED VETERANS) (County/Town, Village, Alden & Clarence Schools) (1x application required)
- AGRICULTURAL (County/Town, Village, School) May also receive an exemption on some Special Districts (Lease Agreement)
- DISABILITY (County/Town/Village, Alden & Clarence Schools) NYS Disability Exemption Pamphlet
ALL EXEMPTION APPLICATIONS CAN BE SUBMITTED SEPTEMBER THROUGH MARCH 1st (EXCEPT FOR NEW HOMEOWNERS APPLYING TO NYS FOR THE STAR)
Proof of Age, Ownership & Income may be required