- In the U.S., one in four women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime.
- Young women, age 16-24, experience the highest rate of DV.
- Each year, 4000 people are killed by their intimate partner. This number exceeds the number of people who perished on 9/11/01.
- A woman is battered in the USA every 9 seconds.
- It is estimated that 10 MILLION children are affected by Domestic Violence annually.
- 40% of teenage girls age 14-17 yrs. Say they know someone their age that has been physically abused by a boyfriend.
- Family violence costs upwards of $10 BILLION annually in medical expenses, police and court costs, shelters and foster care, sick leave, absenteeism, and non-productivity.
(Medical News, American Medical Association, January, 1992.)
- 85-95% of all Domestic Violence Victims are female.
- Domestic Violence causes the greatest harm to women; more that rape, mugging, and automobile accidents combined
- Intimate partner violence victims lose nearly 8.0 million days of paid work each year - the equivalent of more than 32,000 full-time jobs.
- Domestic Violence is one of the most under reported crimes, second only to rape.
National Network to End Domestic Violence - 24 Hour Census on 9/12/2012
|64,324 victims served in one day||3,552 victims served in one day|
|(30,433 went to emergency shelter)||(2,328 went to emergency shelter)|
|(29,001 received non-residential services)||(1,839 received non-residential services)|
|20,821 Hotline calls answered (more than 14 per minute)||1,078 hotline calls answered (more than 1 per minute)|
|10,471 requests went unmet||596 requests went unmet|
08/03/2022 - 3:40 pm