How do I get tested for COVID-19?
Two kinds of tests are available for COVID-19:
- Diagnostic test For more information see: s (Swab test) . - Tells you if you have a current infection. For more information see:
- Serologic antibody test (blood test) - Tells you if you had a previous infection. It is very important to rememberthat when antibodies to COVID-19 are found in a person, scientists do not know yet if there is protection from future infections and how long the protection lasts. COVID-19 is caused by a new virus and many studies are under way to learn more about the disease and how the immune system responds to it. For more information see:
COVID-19 Diagnostic (Swab) and Antibody Testing is available through:
- Searchable map of COVID-19 Testing Sites in Erie County (The sites included on this map have their own testing criteria and availability. Please call the organization before going to a site. This list is subject to change and may not reflect all testing options in Erie County. Please call your healthcare provider for guidance.)
- Your healthcare provider can provide you with a lab order. A list of providers who are accepting new patients is available here.
- ECDOH - Call 716-858-2929 to schedule a test (a lab order is not needed)
- NYSDOH - Call 1-888-364-3065 to schedule a test (a lab order is not needed)
- Other organizations - Contact each organization for their criteria.
If you test positive or negative for COVID-19, no matter the type of test, you still should take preventive measures to protect yourself and others.
Can I test for COVID-19 at home? What about buying a test online?
The FDA authorized a diagnostic test for COVID-19 with an at-home sample collection option on April 21, 2020. This test is in limited use and is only available from LabCorp.
Beware of web sites and other outlets that offer at-home COVID-19 test results. These are scams. The best medical advice for you comes from your healthcare provider.
The FDA has a consumer hotline for general information and complaints about fraudulent COVID-19 products at 1-888-INFO-FDA.